Drivers do not want to end up with an SR-22 certificate on their record. These requirements indicate that a state considers a driver to be high-risk.
SR-22 certificates verify that a driver active car insurance in place. They usually remain on the driver's record for a couple of years.
Many car insurers view the SR-22 as a red flag. Insurers may raise policy prices, or even cancel coverage for those who carry SR-22s.
It's easy to understand why avoiding this penalty may help you avoid a hit to your wallet. Here are some steps you can take to avoid SR-22 penalties.
1. Know Your State Driving Laws
Most drivers have to pass comprehensive tests to get a driver's license in their state of residence. However, over time, everyone becomes a bit rusty on the finer points of driving safety. Reviewing safety laws and procedures can make drivers more aware and safe on the road.
There are other steps drivers can take to reduce their risk, as well. These might consider enrolling in defensive driving or driver safety courses. Some insurers offer auto policy discounts for drivers who pass these courses.
2. Become a Safer Driver
It's easy to say that you're a safe driver. But there are always ways to become safer on the road. And the safer you are, the less likely you are to be saddled with an SR-22.
Here are some safety tips to keep in mind.
- Avoid speeding. Driving at or under the speed limit can reduce the chances of wrecks.
- Don't drive distracted. Don't send a text message or apply makeup while driving. These activities take your eyes off the road, and many states have laws against such activity.
- Never drive under the influence. If you're charged with a DUI, you'll likely end up with an SR-22 certificate as well. Ensure you have a sober Designated Driver or alternate transportation every time you consume alcohol.
3. Always Carry Auto Insurance
Most states require all drivers to carry minimum levels of auto insurance. If you drive without this coverage, you'll likely end up with an SR-22 certificate on your record. Drivers can often increase their coverage to better suit their unique needs.
If you do end up with an SR-22 certificate, don't despair! We can still help you get quality coverage. Call Cloverleaf Insurance at (800) 530-5822 for a free SR-22 insurance quote.